1/29/09

Try #2 -What's for dinner

Can you tell I have little people that like to push buttons?

Anywho - so I'm in our ward canning club. They all decide they want to try and bottle chicken and since I have a friend that works at Shamrock, I tell everyone that I can get it at a wonderful price. So after taking  orders for 3 weeks want to know the final count? Try 480 POUNDS!!!! I couldn't believe. The whole process actually went relatively smoothly but all I can say is I don't think I will ever be able to look at chicken the same for a long time. That's a lot of chicken, dang it! I was, however, very happy for all the sisters in my ward that were able to benefit from doing a little food storage. Most of them had never bottled meat so it was a fun experience. 

So I was reading in the Ensign the other day and had a "truth bumps" moment, as my good friend calls them. It was a quote form Elder Dallin H. Oaks and he was speaking on the Prophet Joseph Smith. He said:

"....The Prophet  Joseph Smith had no role models from whom he could learn how to be a prophet and leader of the Lord's people. He learned from heavenly messengers and from the harvest of his unique spiritual gifts. He had to rely on associates who had no role models either. They struggled and learned together, and the Prophet's growth was extremely rapid."

Our prophet didn't have anyone to look to for an example on how to be a prophet. And his friends? Neither did they. I wonder how carefully Joseph chose his friends. I'm sure he didn't "hang out" with just anybody. His choices were deliberate and prayerful. As I read this I thought about my own kids and the friends they choose. Gosh, it's hard enough just feeling accepted let alone trying to reason whether or not some kid is someone you want to make a true friend.  I love the quote by President Hinckley were he encourages us to surround ourselves with people who bring out the best that is within us. I then thought about my choice of friends and all I have to say is I've been blessed. 

Thought for the day:  My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.   Henry Ford

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

You girls are always doing something fabulous! That is alot of chicken!!! As for teaching kids about picking friends I agree that it is hard enough just to try to fit in. Lauren is so strong in that area, she will tell anyone to take a flying leap if they are not living up to her standards and Lindsey is right behind her. Aydon cares a little more about what people think of him. I Think it is a difficult time to be a kid with all of the garbage that is out there. But I know we are doing the best we can as parents and that is all we can do. Squeeze your monkeys for us and we can't wait to see you all at the reunion.

Jodi said...

That's A LOT of chicken...good for you!! We are dealing with "friend issues" right now with Kam and it has been so hard. I pick her up everyday from school and she will be waiting for me, crying. It's hard to hear about the cruel things kids do - but it's harder for me to make her go back everyday and face it again, knowing she will probably be crying when I pick her up!! I will share your quote with her and hopefully it will help her out! Thanks for sharing :)