2/4/09

In memory of Papa Dean


Ask anyone I know and they will tell you I love making sandwiches. Whether its a toasty tuna with red onion and lettuce, a grilled roast beef with a yummy green chili sauce, or a simple "The works" deli sandwich with everything down to the last pepperoccini, I love sandwiches. Maybe it's the inner need to feed (others) or just the fact that I enjoy making people happy. Where does this come from? Well, today as I was making lunch for the girls and myself, this same question came to mind.  Here is what I decided.
A sandwich to me isn't something that consists of simply bread, mayo, mustard, meat and cheese. As you can see from the photo above a sandwich involves so much more, and I don't mean just ingredients.  Now I agree, everyone has differing tastes. And understandably so. Just think of all the different types of cheeses, meats, lettuce and sauces. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. However, when I think of a sandwich, the first thing that comes to mind is my Papa Dean. 
For those of you who didn't know Papa Dean, let me tell you a little bit about him. My Papa Dean was a very handsome man. He was tall, slender and had a full head of beautiful white hair. His fingers were long and skinny and I loved watching them as he would write, build, create and play with all of his grandchildren. He was an amazing writer - or should I say poet. Some of his poems included things like "Hi Ho The Dillyhoppers Comin".  Let me share a little:

Hi ho the Dillyhoppers comin.
I know cause rumblesniffer said.
He's got poppers
And daffadilly hoppers
Growing from the temples of his head.

Sound like someone else you know? Dr. Suess, maybe? All of his poems were amazing. And boy could he sing - especially How great Thou art. He sang it so beautifully, knowing when to take a breath, when to sing louder or softer it was almost as if he had written it himself.  And traveling just wouldn't have been the same without the great songs he taught us like, Old Mr. Smith, Toodle-lumba lumba and The Old Mill Stream. Nobody could harmonize like him and Grandma Glory.  And boy did he love his family. You could tell by the family reunions that he was in charge of. There was singing, and laughing and story telling and lots and lots of hugging. We knew he loved us because he showed us. By his words and actions. And I suppose that is why I love making those sandwiches so much. You see he is the one that taught me. And it wasn't necessarily that he put on all those great fixins. It was the fact that he let me do it with him. That I was important enough to him that he would take the time and show me how to do something that he loved doing. Quite simply put, he loved serving others. I love you, Papa Dean.

Thought of the day: Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

10 comments:

gramelinda said...

Oh my goodness...I can't believe you have it so perfectly! I loved him too....and miss him so much! It is wonderful that you put the quote at the end because I needed it! (Yes, I'm crying!). But let me correct you....It's "Hi ho the dillypoppers commin....I know, cause Rumplesniffer said! He's got caploppers, and daffodilly hoppers, growing from the temples on his head!" And do we want a best seller for that? Let's team up artist Matthew with Papa's words and we could live off the royalties!!!!!!! I love you forever! Thanks for the memories!!!xoxoxoxoxoxox

Leah S. said...

Ok, I'm with your Mom. You people need to put all that in a book. That is a fun little poem. I would love to hear some of the other stuff he wrote. What a talent.

I love the way you write. It's so...uplifting and inspiring. Thanks for putting a smile on my face first thing this morning.
Love you more!

Ps. the picture of the sandwich is beautiful. Makes me hungry for one right now....

Stephanie said...

Might I add that I love everything that you make! Thanks for the story and the quote! I check your blog daily for your quotes, they always inspire me. Love ya

Ziegler 7 said...

I'm going to say it again!! you are practically perfect in everyway... what a beautiful entry for today. I see where your family gets charity (the pure love of Christ) it's seriously leaking out everywhere and getting on everyone around you. You are wonderful. I love Papa Dean also..for all that he gave you and your family so you could pass it along to people like me.
Love you.

The Knight's said...

entries like this on your blog are the reason we begged for you to do one. Lindy....i can't even type through the tears. i love you so much and appreciate all your words...you are so good with them. you know mom asked me what i wanted for my lunch before i went into the mtc and i said that i wanted Papa Dean to make sandwhiches for me. well, if you remember, he died only a few short weeks before i left for the mission. it was tough...but i think about his sandwhiches all the time and must say that you have mastered them. i only eat tuna fish at your house because you make it the best. so, in your own way you are carrying on with a papa dean tradition. i often wish i could sit in thier kitchen (in california) and watch him toast the bread for a yummy tomato sandwhich, what a great memory...it makes me lonesome...i am glad you are coming this weekend.

Tanya said...

Lindy,Leslie,I mean Lindy!!!
Ditto on ALL of these comments...and yes, I am crying too, especially after reading what "The Knight" said!

You are soooooo talented. I am just grateful that I get to be the receipient of your amazing sandwiches, amazing stories, and incredibly wonderful friendship!

The Godoy's said...

I love it Lindy..I miss him too..I can still hear his voice and smell what he smelled like. Thanks for helping me remember even more and oh..can I buy a sandwich from you?

Rhonda said...

Lindy- you are amazing! You really do have a way with words and knowing your mother, and hearing about Papa Dean I can see where it comes from.
Your sandwich picture could easily be in an ad. Ditto to everyone else's comments about you making the best sandwiches.
Love you!

The Busey Family said...

Hey Lindy! How are you? This is Stephanie, Wayne Oldroyd's daughter. I am so glad that I found your blog so that we can keep in touch. I am so excited for the reunion. I hope that I can make it. I hope all is well.

audrey thompson said...

hi this is audrey thompson from central ward and we saw a little girl on a comercial that looked just like megan on channel 15.